Division: Information Systems
Position Title: Business Analyst
Reports To: Manager – Systems and Projects
This position actively participates on requirements development for applying technology to satisfy business needs for the Business Applications (Insure 90, Lansa, Plexis, Dynamics and Emortelle). Defines and documents business requirements for data analytics, reporting, business intelligence and decision support. Acts as the liaison among internal and external stakeholders to analyze, document, communicate and validate business and system requirements for business applications.
- No responsibilities currently exist for this position
- Data Analysis: Conduct research, investigations, and provide data analysis for business problems through quantitative analysis of range of data sets related to Business Applications.
- Systems Analysis and Solution Development: Conduct assigned elements of the systems design process, including process mapping and documentation of Business Requirements. Provide specifications to our development team for creation of workflows, reports, dashboards and decision support tools for our users that are automated, efficient, repeatable and meet data quality requirements.
- Data Quality and Acceptance Testing: Draft testing plans for approval, and execute the testing process and to ensure the validity and quality of the workflows, processes, data, and reports to meet stakeholder requirements.
- Project Coordination: Coordinate effort with our development team in decision support to ensure timely delivery of decision support solutions to our business users. Provide support to Snr Business Analysts and the Unit Manager in developing Project plans, and periodic project status reports.
- Adhere to the company’s policies and procedures to guard and protect the organization’s data, making sure that the data repositories produce consistent, reusable data.
- Assist Manager – Systems and Projects in the development of project proposals and evaluate technical feasibility of proposed systems for end users/departments.
- Performs any other duties as required by the job function
Customer Service and Satisfaction:
- Act as the liaison between the company’s Information Systems Department, system developers and computer system users.
- Ensure end-users are effectively and efficiently trained to use reports developed and that the supporting end-user documentation is clear, concise and complete.
- Provide technical advice to internal customers when necessary.
- Provide timely and coherent feedback to end-users on the status of assigned Incidents and Service Requests
- Maintain professional development by keeping up to date with company guidelines, policies and practices.
- BA or BSc degree in Business Administration/ Accounting/Management Information Systems and at least 5 years of experience in IT.
- At least 2 years of experience in Business Requirements documentation (including Process Mapping)
- At least 3 years of experience in hypothesis development and testing, research methods and statistical modeling for a variety of audiences.
- Practical experience with MS SQL and/or AS-400/IBM iSeries will be an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge – the incumbent must be proficient in the following areas:
- Microsoft office suite
- Business Intelligence and reporting tools (Power BI or Tableau)
- Experience with Microsoft reporting (SSRS) and analysis (SSAS) is a strong asset.
- Communication: Excellent presentation skills and maintaining a client first focus.
- Business Analysis and Critical Thinking: Experience in defining business requirements coupled with the ability to problem solve, analyze and interpret complex data and information for reporting.
- Systems Analysis: Experience and ability to think analytically, and to translate and document business requirements for decision support into systems specification for development teams.
- Data Analysis: Understanding of data modeling, data analysis and associated principals and methodologies.
- Report Writing and Decision Support Tools: Experience with Business Intelligence/reporting tools is required.
- Project Management/Coordination: Good project coordination and time management skills
- Integrity, reliability and flexibility
- A team player with willingness to grow and learn professionally
- Committed to continuous improvement principles including a commitment to excellence and the ability to facilitate innovation and creativity.
- Works well with little supervision.