Division: Insurance Operations
Position title: Business Development Underwriter I
Reports to: Manager I Broker Services
The Business Development Underwriter is expected to be part of a dynamic team of professionals, dedicated to providing an unparalleled level of service to the Broking Community to ensure the sustainable growth and development of business for The Beacon.
The Business Development Underwriter is expected to deal directly with the Broking Community, and will be empowered to act on The Beacon’s behalf, have the ability to bind cover up to a specified amount, provide quotes, manage claims and receivables, deal with customer service issues and engage in marketing of Beacon’s services.
Business Development/Revenue Generation:
- Develop Business from the Broking Community through development of relationships, and the Marketing of The Beacon’s Products with Brokers, Account Executives and Account Managers – this includes Port of Spain, Chaguanas, Tobago, San Fernando, Arima and other areas as required;
- Develop Presentations and Marketing tools for the Broking Community and delivering those to the Brokers as required;
- Provide quotations for all classes of business to Brokers in keeping with The Beacon’s guidelines and provided Limits of Authority.
- Bind Coverage for quotations provided and accept New Business for all classes of insurance in keeping with The Beacon’s guidelines and provided Limits of Authority.
- Sign Broker Slips in keeping with The Beacon’s guidelines and provided Limits of Authority.
- Ensure that all entries made on the company’s core operating system (I90 & LANSA) are accurate.
- Provide technical assistance to colleagues in other Divisions as well as within Insurance Operations when necessary.
- Conducting risk surveys as required.
- To assist in the collection of premium cheques (receivables) for all Broker business where necessary.
- Continuously ensure compliance with all of The Beacon’s guidelines, manuals and corporate policies.
- Assist the Manager Broker Unit where required in the annual preparation of operational plans and budgets.
- Perform miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned by the Manager.
- Provide immediate proof of cover to clients for newly accepted business and renewals, or as requested by the customer.
- Deliver all policies and other documents to customers.
- Provide technical advice to internal or external Brokers customers as and when necessary.
- Provide claims service to customers by:Receiving claim forms and determining coverage levels
- Providing briefs to the Claims department on the claimant and the respective risk(s),
- Providing guidance and updates to the client throughout the claims process.
- Maintain professional development by keeping up to date on changes and new developments in General Insurance products and practices.
- Support and contribute to the Unit’s productivity by displaying the behaviours associated with a professional work ethic.
- 5 CXC O’Level subjects including Mathematics and English.
- Minimum of six (6) years’ experience in general insurance underwriting.
- CII Certificate or equivalent or studying towards certification.
- A reliable and working vehicle.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The incumbent must be proficient in the following areas:
- All lines of general insurance
- Working knowledge of I90 will be an asset
- Microsoft Office Suite.
The incumbent must demonstrate the following skills:
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Team player
- Effective verbal and listening skills
- Attention to detail
- Customer focused.
The incumbent must demonstrate the following personal attributes:
- Honest and trustworthy
- Reliable and flexible
- Ability to work unsupervised.