Beacon 4-1-1

Our customers have shared with us their feedback on certain features of the Motor policies that are a source of stress for them. Generally, these cause undue stress at the time of loss because in many cases, our customers feel blindsided when a claim occurs. Below are some points that we hope we can help you to understand so that you can ask the right questions when effecting a motor policy…

When buying motor insurance, did you know that both the vehicle and the drivers need to be covered?

Who are the authorized drivers?

  • Any driver you authorize to use your vehicle who is over 25 years old and driving regularly for over 2-years
  • Authorized drivers should be listed on the proposal form that is signed at the Insurer but there is no need to list them on the Certificate
  • Any driver who is under 25 years and/or has NOT been driving regularly for 2-years are considered young and/or inexperienced drivers and must be listed on the Certificate in order to be properly covered
  • In most cases, an additional premium is charged or an increased excess is applied or a combination of both because statistically, young drivers are a higher risk to insure
  • Special consideration will be given if the young and/or inexperienced drivers completed a Defensive Driving Course.
  • In order for an insurer to honour your claim, this information needs to be included on the Proposal form.
  • To verify which drivers are covered, simply check your Motor Certificate or call us at 6BEACON


  • “Special Perils” refers to coverage that provides you with protection against unexpected natural occurrences such as floods, earthquakes and other acts of nature.
  • Special perils are NOT automatically covered under your comprehensive motor policy
  • For a small additional premium, this coverage can be included so you can sleep easy when it starts to rain, knowing that you are protected from the severe flash flooding that takes place sometimes.

These days, flash flooding can happen anywhere – at a mall, main road or on a hill – and your vehicle could be at risk.

Ask our reps more about it. Even if you decide not to buy the coverage at least you know what your options are…


You should if you need your vehicle to get to work, drop off and pick up the kids or have an active social life!

  • With your comprehensive policy, Loss of use coverage will assist you with alternative transportation for a period of time, while your vehicle is being repaired after an accident.
  • How does it work?
    • It is generally provided for a fixed period i.e. 7 days or 10 days
    • An estimate of time for repairs is provided
    • Time starts only when the vehicle goes in for repairs
    • Time ends within the specified days/limit has been reached
  • The allowances for Loss of use normally range between $200.00 to $300.00 daily, for a maximum of 10-days.

If you need your vehicle, you need this coverage. It’s that simple.


  • When you have a claim on a comprehensive policy, every insurer requires you to pay a percentage of the sum insured before repairing damages to your vehicle. This is what is known as the “Excess”
  • Why should I pay more when I’ve already paid a premium?

    We understand the confusion… It’s really meant to ensure that claims are made for the major damages that you probably wouldn’t be able to pay under normal circumstances.

  • The excess amount will vary depending on your car, the age and experience of the drivers on your policy
  • If you’re a young or inexperienced driver, don’t be surprised if your compulsory excess is higher than someone who is older or has been driving for a while.
  • How does it work? You pay your portion then Beacon will pay the rest according to your policy. If you make a claim where you were not at fault, your excess can be reduced or eliminated under certain circumstances

Ask our reps about your Excess payments and be sure you understand what yours would be.

Beacon makes every effort to inform you of the Excesses when you start your policy. Information about your Excesses is included in your policy documents however, feel free to call us for further details.


  • Because it can happen very easily, at any time.
    Damages to Windscreens are among the most common claims, with many drivers simply assuming that they have coverage. A chip or crack can form from objects, such as gravel or pebbles that are thrown up by the tyres of another car or from someone operating a lawnmower, striking the windscreen.

What is it?

  • Additional coverage for damage/breakage of the Windscreen and Windows up to a specified limit when there is no other damage to your vehicle.
  • At Beacon, this cover can be included in all our motor policies (third party and comprehensive).

How do I choose a limit?

  • Call your dealer or preferred repair to obtain an estimate.
  • The limit should include the cost of the glass, labour and installation costs.

How much do I pay?

  • The premium is based on a percentage of the limit.

Does this affect my NCD?

  • Windscreen claims do not affect your NCD.



This website provides a simplified description of coverage.  Nothing stated therein creates a contract.  All statements made are subject to the provisions, exclusions, conditions and limitations of the applicable insurance policy.  Please refer to the actual policy forms for complete details regarding the coverage discussed.  If the information in these materials conflicts with the policy language that it describes, the policy language prevails.  Eligibility is subject to meeting applicable underwriting criteria.